Friday, November 23, 2007

What I am grateful for..... Motherhood.

Of course being Thanksgiving week, We are always thinking of all the things in life we are grateful for, family, friends, home, health. All wonderful things. But, the thing I think I am the most grateful for in the whole world is Motherhood.
Not only for the wonderful blessing of being a mother but for having a wonderful mother to look up to and who I still need mothering from. I talk to my mom just about every day on the phone, I call her for advice, to tell her funny stories, frustrations and just to talk. We are like such good friends, and I believe the special friendship we now have is from the bonds we have as mother -daughter and from the understanding we have for each other now as we are both mothers. There is a certain understanding you get for you mother and a certain respect and love you can only have for them once you yourself become a mother. And I am grateful for that.
I am grateful for being a mom more than I could have ever imagined I would be. And not only am I grateful to be a mother, I am grateful that I enjoy it so much and just love this time of life. I could have never imagined how wonderful it would be. I feel truly like one of those people who finally finds "the thing" they were meant to do in life. Do you ever hear people talk about how much they love their jobs or their hobby, that it feels like their "calling in life" that is how I feel about being a mommy to Ady and Max. I love them more than life itself. I am grateful for all the wonderful things and experiences in life that prepared me to be a mom. Babysitting my younger siblings, at least one night every weekend from 7th grade through High School. It may not have seemed like a blessing then but it was. I didnt know how much that would prepare me for my own children. I dont even know how many diapers I changed before I graduated from High School, and speaking of diapers, nothing could have been a better mother hood preparation than the months I spent working in the orphanages in Ecuador. Which I still believe to be one of the best decision I have made in my life. Whenever I am tired with Ady and Max I remember the nights in the hospital with sick babies, changing 20-30 diapers right in a row in the middle of the night. Working all day from 6 in the morning then working all night at another shift. No sleep, literally. And truly understanding what being exhausted really is and I remember that I have done much harder and it helps me in my daily little trials. I am so thankful for those life lessons I learned there.
I am just daily grateful for the blessings that being a mom gives me, and for the love I am able to have in my heart for my children. And of course none of that would be possible without my perfect (mostly perfect) husband Eric who made me a mother to our children and who supports me and appreciates me more than I deserve. He is wonderful and I love him so much. And I am grateful for his mother Sue, my mother in law, who is so wonderful. I am grateful to her for being such a great mother to Eric and raising his to be such a great dad. And for the friendship and special relationship she and I have. I truly love her and I know that have such a good relationship with a mother in law is rare and I really treasure it.
And that is my favorite blessing this Thanksgiving season and for what I am feeling the most grateful for. Motherhood, it really is one of the best blessings we have to enjoy in this life. And I guess I just wanted everyone that I love who reads this blog to know how much I am truly grateful for it. There is nothing better. I am sure of it.

10 comments:

Amber Lynn said...

Your such and amazing person, wife, mom and friend! glad I have someone like you to look up too!!! we need to have you guys up for dinner some time, I got you something for your new place and I should get it to you soon since your in the process of decorating. Ill try and make it down soon!!! Cant wait for the christmas party!!

Jason and Amy said...

i completely agree, being a mom is totally the best thing in the whole wide world

Lisa said...

That was seriously the best post I have ever read! You are a great mother. Motherhood is indeed, one of the greatest blessings.

Jill said...

it definitely is "the thing" you were meant to do, so sweet & true

The Shupes said...

I would have to agree. People would always talk about the love a mother has for her child, but you don't understand it until you are a mother. Nothing gives me more joy than being Charlies mom. I truly feel that I am doing what I was sent here to do and how lucky I am. And like you said it makes you so grateful for your own mom!! And I love your mom, she is the best!! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Darbee said...

Hi Hailey! Thanks for the advice on my blog. I think I'm going to give it a try. It was fun to hear from you and to see your blog. Your pictures are beautiful! It was so fun to see pictures of your children and your gorgeous family! You are such a sweet mom! I, too, feel that Motherhood is one of the GrEaTeSt blessings in life. We are so blessed to have been given the opportunity! Happy Holidays!

Callie said...

I totally agree with you. There is nothing better than being a mom.
You are wonderful mom.

Jen Bird said...

I've been thinking a lot lately how grateful I am to be a mom too! There is nothing better in this whole wide world than watching your little one grow up, learn new things, and be able to share in all of their experiences. What a sweet blog!

Brittany said...

100% agree...being a Mom is the best and it always helps to have great examples that come before us. This world would be such a different place if more people thought like that.

Lindsey said...

I forgot to leave my comment before. You are such a great mom and its so awesome that you love your job.