Sunday, November 9, 2008

Turkey Day.



I am sending out these invitations to all of Eric's family this week. We are really excited to be hosting all of them for Thanksgiving at our home this year.  I also decided to include (shown below) a menu card of what we will be serving to get everyone excited.
We actually have only "hosted" thanksgiving once, 3 months after we got married at our Provo home, but I was 6 weeks pregnant with Adyson and the only job I gave myself was to keep Thanksgiving dinner "down". Which I didn't.
So I am really looking forward to having everyone here this year, we will have Erics parents and Aunt and Uncle from Ohio. Eric's cousin Weston and his wife and kids from L.A., Eric's other cousin Amanda and her husband and daughter and of course Eric's sister and the Lovell boys.
Eric and his dad are making 2 turkeys, one traditional roasted and our new favorite the Fried Turkey. If you have not done this, you should. You get a turkey fryer and deep fry the turkey in peanut oil and its ready in as little as an hour. And soo good. But not so good for the dieters out here. But who diets on Thanksgiving... right?
So in anticipation for Thanksgiving and since I don't have much going on this month, I am going to be posting a few of our favorite family Thanksgiving recipes over the next few weeks. ALso if you have any WONDERFUL ones, send them to me. I want to try out some new ones over the next couple of weeks.



Oh, and I got these from MARTHA, isn't she awesome. I dont know if I will try any of them, we will see how ambitious I get.




Here is my first recipe that I will be making for our Thanksgiving for sure.

Ruth's Chris Sweet Potato Casserole
(really though, it could be a dessert)
For The Crust - 
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)
1/3 butter, melted

For The Sweet Potato Mixture
3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, well beaten
1 stick butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
combine brown sugar,flour,nuts,and butter in mixing bowl and set aside
combine sweet potatoes, sugar,salt, vanilla, eggs and butter in a mixing bowl in the order listed. mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into buttered baking dish. Sprinkle the sweet potato mixture evenly with the crust mixture on top.
Bake for 30 mins. 
Allow to set for 30 mins before serving.

I don't normally much like sweet potatoes but these are so good and really is the Ruth's Chris recipe.
Try and you will not be disappointed!

15 comments:

Lincoln and Alisia said...

I love the recipe. I seriously should try that one out. I have finally decided that I am going to start "domesticating myself" and cook more...

Partyof9 said...

Hello there!

I am Lindsey Cooksey's cousin. =0) I found your blog because one blog of Lindsey's said we had to "check out her friend's style".

I was reading your fantastic blog and thought I would share a really pretty and yummy drink that has been a tradition in our home since I can remember.
You might have heard of it before but it's called "Frape" (Frap-hay). It's made with either orange or lime sherbet and sprite.

Just add an entire container of sherbet to at least one liter of sprite and use a hand mixer to blend. You want the drink to be thick yet thin enough to drink so add the Sprite sparingly until you get the consistancy you want.
Then ladel the drink into pretty gobelts.
It really adds that final touch and everyone, including kids love it!

Enjoy! ;)
;)

Jill said...

sounds so nice, i love the invites! i make a similar recipe using yams. they really are dessert.

Kristi Judd said...

Hey yeah we really do need to get together soon. Are you going to be in town? Or I could come visit you too. Email me what you think. iloveaiden00@gmail.com

Sunshine Promises said...

This recipe looks just like one of my favorites called "Nauvoo Yams." Whatever you call them, they are DELCIOUS!

Love the pics from Martha. However, this year I have to get an early start putting up our Christmas decorations or they won't get put up at all. Oh, the energy a pregnancy SAPS from you.

BTW - Ben will be getting married Jan. 3rd with a reception in Centerville on the 2nd.

Jen Bird said...

Hailey!! You are one party planner my dear!! That looks like so much fun! I LOVE this time of year!! Food, Family, Friends, Fireplaces... :) (not in that order) What a fun Thanksgiving you'll have!

Lovell Family said...

Those little spikey balls (that were used as name placements from Martha) were all over sacramento! When I first saw them I collected them and put them in a bowl for display, I thought they were so cool....

Larsen said...

If I weren't prego, I know it would all sound delicious. (Sorry, about Sunday. The whole gagging thing. It just hit me all the sudden and I had to go tearing down the hallway to the bathroom. Don't worry, I did make it though. fffeeewwww.)

AnnieB said...

you always make everything so beautiful and special and wonderful! it's a gift. I love the invites and i'm excited for all of your recipes.
little jealous that you're getting the whole family together. give them all my love and hugs!

jayne said...

Looks and sounds wonderful. I love having everyone over for Thanksgiving. But my favorite is Christmas by far!!! It sounds like you guys are going to be stuffed.

The Beck Family said...

you don't know me, but I stalk your blog and absolutely love it. Your decorating ideas, your clothes, the parties you throw. I get some great ideas from your blog. I tell my husband about it all the time, "you know that blog I stalk"...he thinks I'm crazy. I thought I would finally post something on here though. Thanks for letting me continue to read it!

Sarah said...

Sounds like so much fun. I remember crashing that Thanksgiving, you were such a trooper. I have an awesome stuffing recipe if you want it. It's got sausage, apricots, and apples. It's so good. Let me know.

Lisa said...

Sounds yummy!

The Jorgensen's said...

Yay, I heart Thanksgiving!

Fashion Meets Fitness said...

This is the dish I'm in charge of this year so I am stealing this recipe! Thanks is advance :)