Monday, November 17, 2008

Sausage, Chestnut and Cornbread Stuffing



When it comes to stuffing at a Kandell Thanksgiving, no one can touch Eric's dad Jim's recipe. It is so good, Eric can duplicate it pretty close but Jim does it best.
Now, I am not giving away that recipe in this post. But, I did do a practice mini Thanksgiving meal last week for my Eric the kids and the Lovell's.
And I made a new stuffing recipe I have never tried before, Sausage, Chestnut and Cornbread stuffing. It turned out really well even though NO where was carrying chestnuts until next week, so I had to substitute hazelnuts. My research also told me you can substitute chestnuts with pecans as well. But I used hazelnuts.
SO here is the recipe...

Ingredients
8 cups cubed day-old cornbread (I just whipped some up the day before to sit for a day)
2 cups day old country style white bread ( I bought this on Monday from the bakery at Harmons to use Wednesday night)
1 1/2 mild Italian pork sausage, casings removed
1 to 2 TBS olive oil if needed
1 yellow onion
1 celery stalk finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup roasted and peeled chestnuts ( or like I said hazelnuts, or pecans) chopped
1/4 cup chopped mixed fresh and dry herbsm such as sage, rosemary, and thyme
3 cups chicken stock

Directions
preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a shallow baking dish or gratin pan
Spread the corn bread and white bread in baking sheet or 2 and toast in oven until light brown and a little crunchy, about 20 mins.
In saute pan over medium heat, brown the sausage, stirring and crumbling with a fork, until cooked through about 10 mins. Move to large bowl.
Return the pan to meium heat. Add the olive oil to the accumulated fat in the pan, if needed. Add the onion and celery and saute, until soft and translucent, 5-7 mins.
Seaons with salt and pepper
Transfer to a bowl with the sausage. Add the toasted bread and cornbread and nuts, and herbs and stock.Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
Transfer the stuffing to the prepared baking dish, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 to 40 mins. Remove foil and cook an additional 35-40 mins more.
Serves 10-12
Or 4 for 3 days. :)

You will love this stuff. Yummy.

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Sounds DELICIOUS! I'll have to try it sometime. Thanks for the recipe.

Amy said...

Mmmm...that sounds yummy. I can't believe it's almost Thanksgiving! I'll have to give this recipe a shot. Thanks for the comment, it was fun to see your blog! Your kids are adorable. I'm sure everyone tells you how much your daughter looks like a "Smoot"!

Mark and Tamarie said...

Yummy, perfect for Thanksgiving! Thanks for the recipe.

Lisa said...

Sounds yummy! Your blog is so fun to read because it makes me so excited for Thanksgiving. I feel bad cause everyone gears up for Christmas right after Halloween.

Jen Herem said...

Sounds yummy... Nick LOVES stuffing.

Amber Lynn said...

Im so going to make this!!! It sounds so good! Miss you

Tiffany said...

That sounds really good but a little too hard for my no talent kind of cooking. Your vegas trip sounded fun too. Thanks again for dinner last night We loved it.