Saturday, August 28, 2010

Fresh Garden Pebre


Hey this is Eric chiming in again, I know it has been a really long time. Today I am sharing the secret recipe to a garnish, sauce, marvel, whatever you want to call it, but it has been the hit of many meals and bbq's this summer.

I served my mission in Chile and there is something in Chile called Pebre. It is a green, fresh, somewhat spicy amazing sauce meant to smother beef! Chileans will kill me but the best way I can explain it is that it is Chile's version of chimichurri. Truth is you will love Pebre much more than any chimichurri you ever come in contact with and I will bet you on that!

Well you do not have to make this with home grown veggies (like I did this time) but NEVER EVER make it without fresh ingredients or you will ruin it. I also suggest NOT using a blender or food processor yet instead use a slap chop or something similar but that is your call. You just do not want a watery consistency.


Step 1. 1 cup olive oil (do not use VIRGIN or EXTRA VIRGIN, it will ruin it, just use standard olive oil.

step 2. 1/2 cup red wine vinegar



step 3. 1 cup finely chopped/minced yellow onion


step 4. 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (yes a full 1/2 cup)


step 5. 1/2 cup chopped parsley


step 6. 4 large cloves of garlic finely chopped



step 7. 4 habanero chiles. Now this is where you can control the heat by using jalapeno or cayenne etc. Use a fresh pepper and use one with a orange or red color. If you do not it will not look right! I have used 2 habaneros and 2 jalapenos most of the time. Keep the seeds and all.


step 8. Salt and pepper to taste.


Step 9. wisk all ingredients together


It will taste amazing immediately, however let it sit at room temp for 1 hour then it is much better! This will keep for about a week in the fridge. You will be buzzing over this trust me.


Best eaten on- grilled skin on chicken, any meaty steak, and believe it or not as a bruschetta topping on a nice grilled piece of country bread with some fresh goat or mozzarella cheeses!

9 comments:

Sunshine Promises said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Eric! You are the male version of the Pioneer Woman! It sounds delish. We'll have to try it.

And - for the record - I think it is FABULOUS that you cook. I hope that my husband picks up that skill someday. But - after 10 years - I don't see much hope beyond pancakes, french toast and the occasion quiche.

Jen Tornow said...

Seriously, this recipe is DIVINE. Everyone must try it. Glad I've finally got the recipe now! Thanks, Eric!

Jill said...

oh my delicious. that first picture hooked me and the recipe sounds so good. i'm impressed! i'll give this a try.

Momma Sue said...

I hope mine turns out and looks that good and tastes as good as yours. You must have had a great "chef-mentor-Dad"!

Lovell Family said...

When can we come for dinner? :)

Amber Lynn said...

I cant wait to make it, thanks eric!

Derrick Tornow said...

I love that you use the Slap Chop! Great post, I love that stuff!

Laura Essig said...

oooo.. I am really excited to try this!!

Stephanie said...

Yum. I want to come to dinner at your house Eric :)