Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Neighborhood Tragedy


I have been so sad for my neighbors the past few days. Sunday evening at 8:45 pm an ambulance pulled into our little circle, to pick up our next door neighbors baby boy who is just over a year (Max's age). He had been sick all day Sunday, I sat right next to him and his dad in Sunday School, and he had seemed tired and sick. That night they gave him some tylenol and laid him down to bed, only to check on him a half hour later and find him not breathing. Shortly after at the hospital he was pronounced dead. Because of the baffling circumstances an autopsy was performed but results could take a month. His funeral is this weekend. 
Eric and I have been over to see them, and the other night when we were there, I told her "I am a mother and I cannot even imagine how hard this is" and she told me something I thought was interesting and so heartbreaking too. She said "don't even try, I have spent so much time worrying about what if something horrible happened to my baby, and it did me no good, because nothing can prepare you for if it does happen to you"  I thought it was an interesting thing to say because just this past month we had the relief Society lesson about death that I am sure a lot of you had. And in my ward we also spoke about fear, and how fear and faith cannot exist in the same place. But, it is hard for me when you hear stories like this , so close to home to not fear for your children. 
I was up last night in the night at 3:23 am thinking about this very thing when I saw the neighbors car pull into their driveway, coming home from making funeral arrangements in the middle of the night. My heart just aches for them. I am so glad they have knowledge that their family can be together again one day but I am sure the pain is terrible all the same. 
I have 2 other friends who have lost toddlers, one just a month ago, her daughter choked on a apple in the carseat in the back of their car, and one is one of my dearest friends Haley who lost her little boy when he got hit by a car in their driveway 2 summers ago. Haley is so wonderful, she has agreed to go and meet with my neighbor to tell her her experience since my neighbor has told her family she really wants to talk to someone who has experienced a loss like hers and the emptiness she is feeling. 
I think you dont even have to know people very well or even at all when you hear stories like this to not try and imagine what they must be going through. Please keep our neighbors the Larsen's in your prayers. I hope they can continue to feel love and support and take comfort in their faith of being able to see their little boy again one day. 

12 comments:

Sunshine Promises said...

Oh, my heart aches for your friends! Seriously, it nearly knocks the air out of me.

As you know, we were recently in a place where I had to "go there" and think what I would do if the Lord decided he needed one of my babies. It was the most excrustiating feeling I have ever experienced and one I would not wish upon ANYONE. You would do anything to reverse/take the situation away. I will keep your friends in my prayers during this difficult week.

P.S. Did they find out what sickness their little boy had?

Melissa said...

I feel so bad for your friends who had to endure that kind of a loss. You seem like a very supportive neighbor who will be there if they need you. Let us know when you find out what sickness he had? We will be praying for sure for your neighbor:(

Lincoln and Alisia said...

That is really so sad. Seriously, that lesson in Relief Society helped me a lot to understand that we will be able to raise lost children after this life. I did appreciate her comment, that she spent so much time worrying, but nothing can prepare you.

Torrey said...

That breaks my heart for them. I get so sad when I hear stories like that. I can't even imagine what they are going through. You are sweet to be a good friend and positive help to them.

Jill said...

i am so sorry to hear this, what a heart break. it is so true that you can't live in fear, we just have to take it all one day at a time and be grateful for what we do have.

Jen Herem said...

Wow.. how horrible. Like you, I can't imagine loosing a child.

Kristi Judd said...

That is so sad to hear. I will have them in our prayers and I hope they will find the strength to continue on. I have no idea what i would do if i was in their place.It is truly my worst fear to ever have anything happen to my son. I hope they find out what happen.

Fashion Meets Fitness said...

I will keep them in my prayers...I can't even imagine.

Lisa said...

So sad... losing a child would be one of the hardest things to deal with.

Shari and Grady Wroblewski said...

Oh man. I don't even know what to say except Im about to bust into tears. Death is so real to us right now that I only can sympathize. I cannot even imagine if something like that happened to my baby. God bless their family for the strength to get through this challenge. All I can say is love and embrace everyone you know. That is what this life is about, and you'll NEVER know when things like this may happen. But I have found a peace in knowing that their is a greater plan... a plan that is out of our hands no matter how hard we try to take control. I love you and your family Hailey. I will pray for them.

Amber Lynn said...

That is amazing that some one can go and talk to your neighbor like Hayley!!!! Im still trying to find that state of mind between fear and faith. My heart goes out to anyone who has kids!!!!!!! Even the heart ach you feel when they get a scratch or fall down and you just want to make them feel better! It’s that mother inside all of us. And we mothers need to care and protect our lil ones like nothing else matters. But there are those times where you can’t do anything about it and you just need to put things in the lord’s hands. And know that things will be ok. There is a scripture out there that I have been thinking about over the last week. Don’t know the book it’s in or the chapter/ verse.. Eric could help me on that one I bet.. But it says something like.. The lord only gives what you can handle; he will never over do you with situations or experiences... I totally know that not the right words, but the meaning is there.. So in that sense there is a peace when something comes up in life and I feel like im about to my limit.. Then I know that the lord would never let me deal with something that I couldn’t handle spiritually..(Spelling sucks) so maybe remind your sweet neighbor that! And my heart goes out to her!

Shana Runyan said...

Beautiful post. And I love the lilies. :)