Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Last Night.



We have had a scary night with our sweet baby Maxwell. Last night we were having a big backyard BBQ with Eric's side of the family. Danny and Mariah (Erics cousin and her husband and kids) were in town from Ohio. So, we had them over along with the Lovells and Keslers. It was a nice evening, the kids were swimming and running around and we were relaxing and eating. Then all of a sudden Max cried out like he was hurt. I ran over to see him laying on the ground, all stiff, arched and purple, like he was holding his breath. I ran to him, I picked him up and his mouth was open like he was trying to cry but couldn't and he was completely stiff. Hs head and back were arched and I could not even get him to let me cradle him... he was too stiff. I called to Eric and for someone to call 911. Eric came and got him out of my arms only for Max to go limp, roll his eyes back in his head and lose consciousness. I have always heard in emergency situatins like this you should try and remain calm, but that is so much easier said then done. Then next few minutes ... which felt like forever are kind of a blurr. I know we got someones keys and someone handed us a cell phone, someone was on the phone trying to give directions to 911. The thought of waiting for an ambulance when Max was completely unresponsive seemed crazy to me so we left in the car, me driving and Eric holding Max.
When we got in the car, Max began to wake up, he was out of it but at least conscious. We drove 2 blocks away to an after hours emergency care by our house. They told us they would get his vitals and call the hospital for us but they could not treat him there. Max was now awake, his O2 levels were low and his skin was yellow with a greenish tint around his eyes.
They sent us directly over to American Fork ER, with plans to then take us by ambulance to Primary Childrens Hospital. They didnt want us driving to Primary Childrens alone without Max being able to be monitored on the ride.
At this point we were able to get phone calls from Eric's family who had seen what had happened, since we were still unsure and thought he had possibly fallen. Max had been playing with his cousins and his little cousin who is almost his age, came up behind and grabbed him by his hair in the back of his head and yanked his head back. Max fell backward still in that arched position and that is when his body seized up. Which I why when I got him he was not breathing and so stiff.
At AF hospital, they told us there are 2 main arteries in the neck that if they lose blood flow can cause seizures and passing out. They did a CT scan on his, luckily we were able to keep him still by holding his hands and singing to him so he didnt need sedated. The Ct scans were normal and after a lot of waiting and some blood tests we were able to come home just before midnight last night. 
They told us that Max did have a seizure, and its difficult to know if this could be something he could be prone to. He is going to see a Neurologist at Primary Childrens Tuesday to get an MRI and EKG as well as for Eric and I to be better educated on seizures and what to do if it happened again. 
They said most likely since they were no signs of a head hit in the CT scan, it was the yank back on his head that caused the seizure. They explained it more in depth than that but basically that was the cause.  We are just so glad he didnt lose consciousness for too long. It would have been even more horrifying. They had us keep MAx in our room last night so I could periodically wake him in the night and make sure he recognized me. He was cranky when I did it and kept trying to pull his IV out but everything went fine. I just didnt sleep much.
Max is acting like himself today and when I took him back to the hospital for a check this morning they said it is reassuring to see him acting like himself. 
Thanks for those of you who had Maxwell in your prayers today and last night. It is horrible to see your child in such distress. we will continue to closely watch him and hopefully after all the other tests and the seizure clinic, this will be behind us. 

31 comments:

Lincoln and Alisia said...

oh my gosh. What a scare! I hope everything turns up ok. That just reminds me how fragile life is.

Sarah said...

That story gave me goose bumps as I read it. I'm glad Max is doing better and hopefully it was a one time thing.

Lindsey said...

Hailey! My poor friend!! I read that whole story with my mouth open. I know how much you love your babies so you must have been panicked beyond belief. I can't even know how scared you felt since I don't have kids. And I don't know if the tragedy at your neighbors house made it even scarier or not. I am so glad baby Max is ok. We love you and your family!!

Jason and Amy said...

Oh my gosh what a nightmare. WOW. So glad Max is doing okay. Or friends daughter did the same thing when she was about Max's age. They got her out of the tub and the same exact thing happened. That was about a year ago and nothing has happened since. Hopefully that will be the case with Max. We will be thinking of you guys. (Let us know which neuro you see at Primary's. )

Jill said...

OH MY GOODNESS. I was holding my breath for you the whole time I read this. I am so sorry that happened and that poor Max had to go through that too. I really hope that everything goes well with his next check-ups and that the seizure was just a fluke. What fragile little bodies kids have.
Hope you're ok.
xoxo

Tiffany said...

Nate told me about it this morning and I started crying for you all. You've become such a good friend and I'm so sorry that happened. I'm so glad he doing well. Please call me if there's anything I can do, seriously.

Kristi Judd said...

Oh my gosh! I am so glad that he is okay. I hope you all are doing better. I just can't believe how fast something like that can happen. It really scares me to death. I had seen that something had happen to Max on your comments and i just was praying that everything would be okay. I will keep him in our prayers. Call me soon so i can meet this amazing little guy!

kelly said...

I don't think I would be able to stay calm if I were in your shoes...how scary!

I'm glad he is doing well and I hope it turns out to be just a bad memory and nothing more.
Precious little guy.

Christian Mark Bowman said...

Hailey:

You don't know me but I found your blog through Megan Sonnenberg's(and her's through Jen Brotherson).

I think your family is darling and your son Max is a little sweetie. I just wanted you to know that we are praying for him.

Liz Bowman
Omaha, Nebraska

Polen's said...

I cannot imagine how scary that must have been for all of you. I am so sorry to hear that this happened and will keep Max and your family in my prayers. After hearing about your neighbors this week, I can only imagine how emotional this was for all of you. I will look for updates. Sending lots of love and prayers.

Rachel said...

OH man! Thank goodness your little one is doing ok. I hope for all the best for your family. I had a seizure when I was 2 and they never knew why and I have never had one again.

stacy h. said...

that is terrifying. my sister's little girl had a seizure a few weeks ago. (from a high fever) and she said it was the carriest thing that has ever happened! i am glad he is okay. poor little boy.

Kate said...

Wow. I'm so sorry! Thank goodness Max is alright! I hope - for his sake AND yours - that he doesn't have any more seizures.

Jen Herem said...

Wow.. I hope everything went okay at the dr yesterday. That is so scary..

Anyway, i got his sunglasses at target. Aren't they adorable!! I dont love the "sporty" ones so when i found these I as SO excited!

Amber Lynn said...

I heard about it and my heart gose out to you!!! I wish that I could have been there for you and helped out in a way!!!As soon as I heard I started balling!! I cant even imagain the emotion you were going thru. I thought about you all day. My freakin phone turned off and then i lost it. I wish that I could have helped in a way!!! But we love that lil maxy and am glad that he is ok!!!! Love ya

Carolyn said...

Oh Hailey, I am so sorry...that must have just been so scary! I am so glad he is okay...he is such a little angel. Keep us posted on what the doctors say.

Callie said...

Oh my heck, I am so sorry! That is so scary, I would be freaking out! It is the worst when things happen to your children. I hope everything will be okay when he gets tested. We love you guys and we will keep Max in our prayers.

Melissa said...

Hay I'm so sorry you must have been a mess keep us updated on what the doc says and of course Max is in our prayers we love ya

Torrey said...

That is horrible Hailey. I'm glad it sounds like he's doing ok now. So sad all these scary things happening to poor babys. Please keep us updated on how he's doing.

AnnieB said...

Oh Hailey, I'm so sorry! There is nothing worse than seeing your child in distress and feeling helpless. I got goosebumps! My prayers are with you!

Lisa said...

I am so happy to hear that Max is doing better and acting like himself. We will for sure keep little Max and your sweet little family in our prayers!

Love you much!

jaanderson family said...

i am so sorry that happened. i dont know if its pregnancy or what but i seriously was tearing up reading it. he is such a sweet boy and i am so happy that everything turned out ok. keep us updated.

Elise said...

Hailey, I am so sorry. What a scary experience. I hope little Max will be ok. I had a similar experience with Conner and I agree with you it is so hard to stay calm. We love you guys and will be thinking about you!

cait said...

hailey, i'm sick to my stomach...i hope that everything is okay. I'm so sorry and hope that you are handling the stress that you must feel. I'll be praying for sweet Mackey and your family. Love you.

seetheminers said...

Hailey, that is crazy! I'm glad he is okay. I would have freaked out.

Amanda and Dallin said...

oh my gosh hailey, that is sooo scary! i can't imagine going through that with a child.

Fashion Meets Fitness said...

I'm so glad Max is okay. that is way too scary. I don't know if I could handle something like that. Glad he is back to his cute little self!!!

whitney holland. said...

Hailey that is seriously so scary! I hope things are going okay now. Hopefully you don't mind me peaking at your blog every now and again! Your family is just adorable!

Anonymous said...

I just cried reading your post. I am so sorry that happen to your cute little family. Max is definitely in my prayers!

trent and rach henderson... said...

hailey how scary! i hope he is doing better now. keep us updated!

Shelly Hyde said...

What a scare. glad to hear he is doing well.