Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Cousins and Sunday Dinner


This past Sunday Ady and Max had their only and favorite cousins over Easton and Zach for dinner, Uncle Steve came too. The kids had a ton of fun playing together like always. Eric made a super good dinner, prime rib roast with Zinfindel gravy and winter roasted veggies. I also made a french onion soup, that in my opinion (and Eric's) was really good and the recipe was really easy too, I will post it below. The key is to over do the cheese on top, I seriously put a half cup of gruyere cheese on each little bowl. It was sooo yummy. The kids ate well and played together, I am so glad my kids have cousins their age who live close.




(It dosent look as good in this picture as it was or as it tasted... seriously.)
French Onion Soup courtesy of Williams Sonoma Cookbook

6 large red onions, peeled and thinly sliced.
Olive oil
1/4 teaspoon of sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups of beef stock
1/2 cup of dry white wine
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon of dry thyme
Salt and pepper
8 slices of toasted French bread
1 1/2 cups of grated Swiss Gruyere with a little grated Parmesan cheese

1 In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in the olive oil on medium high heat until well browned, but not burned, about 30 minutes. Add the sugar about 10 minutes into the process to help with the carmelization.

2 Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the stock, wine, bay leaf, and thyme. Cover partially and simmer until the flavors are well blended, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaf.

3 To serve you can either use individual oven-proof soup bowls or one large casserole dish. Ladle the soup into the bowls or casserole dish. Cover with the toast and sprink with cheese. Put into the broiler for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until the cheese bubbles and is slightly browned. Serve immediately.

Serves 4-6.

8 comments:

Brittany said...

the soup looks yummy, I might have to try that one and I love Adyson's dress, so cute. She has the cutest clothes, where do you shop? I also think that she has gorgeous red hair, I honestly love it.

Jill said...

yum that soup sounds so good. i love french onion soup.

i'm at the new york school of interior design (nysid) and i did my undergrad at utah state

p.s. send some one over to steam my linens please :)

Lovell Family said...

Man, i sure missed out not being at your house on Sunday. Soup looks awesome. Steve said everything was great! Cute pictures of the kids. We're so lucky they're such good friends....most of the time :)

Anonymous said...

That is so nice that your kids have cousins their age! It must be fun to get together.
I always love a new soup recipe!

Sarah said...

I loved growing up with all my cousins. That really is great that they have each other. I'm hoping to get down there either later next month or beginning of March. And a guest room with my name on it, I like the sounds of that. It would be so nice to see you for more than a couple hours.

trent and rach henderson... said...

I love checking your blog since you update so often! Your always doing something fun! I can't wait to see pictures of your house! Still enjoying the snow? Oh Oh! How is your brother doing in Mozambique? Is he there yet? My brother got home from his mission there just last August! Crazy!
Rach

Lisa said...

You and Eric seriously need to open a restaurant. You two are such great cooks! Eric's flank steak is still the best steak Rick and I have ever had!
I want to come see your house!!

Fashion Meets Fitness said...

Sounds like a great soup! One of my favs... might have to attemt to make it! thanks for posting the receipe