Tuesday, October 27, 2009

our bling baby.



Last Saturday, Ady had her long awaited dental work done. In August I took both kids for their yearly dental check up. Max: no cavaties, no problem! Ady: 9 cavaties...... 9!?!?! Wait! Dont they both get their teeth brushed the same and basically eat the same things also? Yes.
We have decided Ady has my teeth or the "Smoot acidic saliva curse" and Max is lucky and perfect like Eric, no braces, no problems just white straight healthy strong teeth, always.
Yeah, I'm jealous.
Anyway since so much work had to be done they recommended doing it in the surgical office, where and anesthesiologist puts them under a general anesthetic for 2 hours to do all the work opposed to 5 visits of traumatic shots, and drilling. We agreed and scheduled Ady's work to be done while they put her out.
Long story short, she ended up being out for more like 3 hours because some of the cavities were more deep and some of the teeth cant handle too much drilling.
All in all we left after
7 cavaties were drilled
4 crowns were seated
and 4 baby root canals were performed.
Poor babe.


Saturday she took it easy the rest of the day and has minimal swelling because of the steriod they gave her and not much pain either (so jealous, I am always sore for at least a week after crowns/root canals) but I was so glad for her, I know how horrible teeth work can be.

So, right after the appointment we couldn't see the crowns since her mouth was all swollen, but once we did, I was actually kind of mad. When we first thought she was only having cavities we paid an upgrade fee to use white fillings instead of silver so her mouth would still look all white, well I for sure wouldn't have done that if I would have know 4 huge silver crowns were gonna be put over 4 entire teeth. That was a waste.
Anyway, I was a little afraid Ady would not like her new silver teeth, boy was I wrong! As soon as Eric showed her, her entire face lit up and she said " it's like pirate teeth"
oh. my. gosh. It is like pirate teeth.
Oh well , at least she is thrilled.


{Look at that new proud smile.}
Oh and by the way our new plan of action with the dentist so that this fate does not befall Adyson again, is to go in every 12 weeks for a flouride coating of her teeth and thorough cleaning so nothing has a chance to progress too far.

13 comments:

Partyof9 said...

I happened to be at my blog and noticed your new update..
Poor little thing! I know how you guys feel. My 6 year old just had his tonsils out 2 weeks ago. Poor thing didn't eat for 1 1/2 weeks.Surgery just sucks.

Question...has your baby girl lost any of her baby teeth yet? I was just wondering why they would go to so much trouble with the baby teeth?
I think I will start taking my little ones in for the flouride thing too!

Take care!

stacy h. said...

oh dental work is the worst!! i wish i could be put out every time. :) i'm glad she liked her new pirate teeth! haha, kids are so funny. i'm surprised they didn't tell you that they would be silver...weird.
addie's such a cutie.

Sunshine Promises said...

Bling baby she is!!! What a doll.

Don't worry, Hay. I had silver crowns too. But most fell out before I was old enough to notice or care (4th/5th grade).

Good luck.

Lisa said...

She is still a cutie even if she has "pirate teeth."

Haley said...

Oh, sweet little Ady...she is so brave! (i'm going to be honest when I tell you that I can't remember a time that I didn't cry/tear-up when I've had work done on my pearly whites. boo) And i love that she loves her pirate teeth!!! haha! just in time for halloween ;) You're such a cute mom to call it her bling!

Unknown said...

that is awesome!

Summer said...

So. Funny. Look at that smile!! Kids always see the bright side if there ever is one.

Jeremy and Jani said...

I remember when i was her age and i had to get 4 silver filings as well. lets just say i loved when the tooth fairy came for those ones!!! Poor girl, i hate the dentist.

Steve said...

PRincesses are supposed to sparkle, right?

Jen Bird said...

Poor Ady! I have sympathy for her! Dang teeth! I have such a love/hate relationship with them!! And...let's get together sometime soon! It was fun seeing you at the game!! What are you up to next week?

The Kimballs said...

Oh wow! She is the most darling thing. If anything you should get her braces with head gear and whatever else when she is turning right about 16 years old. She is going to be a heartbreaker. Eric will definitely have his hands full. ;) She is a beautiful little girl, just like her mama.

Spencer Lindahl Family said...

Poor little girl!!! I CANNOT believe all the work she had done! Crowns? Root canals? Are you kidding me? Those are painful! I know where you girls are coming from. My acidic saliva has cursed my teeth too! Tell Ady she is beautiful.

Polen's said...

Poor baby. What a trooper. Like you, I would have 5-7 fillings it seemed every time I went in as a kid. I'd have to go and get 2 at a time, for 2-3 visits. Seemed I was in there year round. Then one day he told me...all your teeth are filled! Now, I'm old enough (geez) that I'm having to get them replaced. I hate dental work...glad to see/hear that she is feeling better and loving her beautiful new smile. ; )