Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Our Disney Cruise


On the Sunday after Christmas (the 27th i believe)we flew down to Orlando with the kids to give them their big Christmas trip. A Disney Cruise. The Cruise didnt leave til Wednesday so we spent Monday and Tuesday at Disney World. The kids were in heaven and we had fun. I am purposely not posting tons of pics of Disney world since that wasn't the purpose of this trip just a little bonus.

The Wednesday came and we took a 45 min cab ride from our hotel in Orlando to Port Canaveral. We are not cruisers, none of us have ever been so it was fun to see the huge Disney Wonder as we pulled into the docks. The kids were freaking! (in a good way) Disney was super organized and check in and everything was super speedy.We boarded the ship and checked out our little cabin (which wasn't as little as I thought ti would be) We get a family stateroom so it had a bunk bed that pulled down from the ceiling into the little living area every night ad a queen for Eric and I. We thought it was totally comfortable.
The first night we pulled away from the dock, I was so nervous that the motion of the boat was going to compound my pregnancy sickness, but other than at dinner I felt okay. The food was very impressive, I thought for a cruise. I always figure if the price on your vacation is all inclusive something is going to suffer, the food, service something but Disney really made me a Cruise fan. Now, I have nothing to compare it to but I will take my kids on a Disney cruise again for sure.

Anyway the next morning we were docked in Nassau before we even woke up, we spent the day at the beach just down for the stunning Atlantis compound. The water was beautiful and the locals were super friendly.


I was happy under my umbrella reading, and the kids were happy in the sand with Eric.


Ok I posted this picture (above) of Eric, for a reason, see how he is looking over his shoulder at those 2 kids playing in the water with their dad? Well, its a good thing he was keeping his eyes on them, the waves at this beach when we were there were huge, and the undertow, even worse. It would knock adults just walking with the toes in the water to the ground when the tide came up. Well, Eric somehow notice that the dad and his 2 kids had gotten out far and could not get back in, they didn't look panicked to me but its hard to tell from shore, so Eric swam out to them. A few minutes later, the dad had one kid and Eric had the other and Eric was holding the kids above water every time a wave would crash. It looked bad, some of the family rushed down to the shore the help grab the kids so that Eric and the dad could stay above water and get in. It was crazy but they finally got to shore. He totally saved that kid.
And about an hour later, another one who was almost limp in the water because no one had noticed him. The water seemed so dangerous we kept our kids completely out of it.


While were there Ady got a sweet set of braids from a local woman who totally found herself a bunch of suckers (us) she tells us it's $2 per braid, so we say ok go ahead, well 2 hours and 57 braids later we now know to agree on the number of braids before hand. Ady did love her hair though.


That night we got back to the ship was the formal New Years Eve Dinner and Party. Disney is even the only ship that has permission to shoot fireworks off the top of their ship. They really do it up right.


Then the next day was a day at Sea, where we played at the pool, went to the spa (me and eric) and relaxed. Which brings me to talking about the Kids Clubs they have on the ship. Holy Cow! We could not get our kids to leave their clubs! They loved them. In fact on day 2 we started calling Adys Club her "cult".
Everyone who had done a Disney Cruise before told us "oh your kids will love the kids clubs, you will hardly see them" and I thought "no this is a family vacation maybe one morning so Eric and I can go tot he spa I will let them go" But I wasn't very comfortable with the idea until we got there. You kids have computer chipped wristbands, with private family passwords, and you haeve a pager for any communication with the club about your child. And they have the most fun days packed with Tinkerbelle's Art Time, then Buried Treasure hunt with Captain Hook, and storytime with Snow White, Peter Pan's Pizza Party, and the list goes on. Ady would be so sad every time we showed up to get her. She loved her Oceaneer Club and to be honest we loved it too.


Day 3, Disney's Private Island Castaway Cay
We loved it! It was sorta chillier this day so we relaxed at the beach a bit, did some exploring then headed back to the boat in the afternoon. For our final night before heading home to the Port Canaveral. Our 4 days at Sea was the perfect amount of time for us.


Anyway I just realized this post was much longer than it should have been, but we had a really great time, and so much more happened worth mentioning,
let's see, I had a horrible tooth ache from what I thought was an abcessed tooth so one night with a fork and my tweezers I removed my tooth, no lie. It hurt THAT bad that I was happy to try and relieve the pressure, Eric was sorta frightened by the fact I was willing to dig into my gums with metal utensils but if you have had a bad tooth pain you know what I'm talking about.
But overall the trip was lovely, and this was probably our kids favorite vacation.

Max saying bye bye to Castaway Cay.

10 comments:

Shelly Hyde said...

how fun for you guys. you drove right past my house to the boat. WE live about 20 minutes away. Im taking the same cruise next thursday with my sisters. Cant wait. THis has gotten me so excited.

jillian said...

i am freaking out right now that you pulled your own tooth out. i would never have the guts to do that. you are crazy!!!!

Leslie said...

Ok, I know I should be focusing on your AMAZING cruise (I definitely want to hear more about it!), but I just can't stop thinking about you pulling your own tooth out with a fork! Oh. my. gosh. You are seriously so tough.

Lovell Family said...

I've been looking forward to these pictures....the vacation sounds great!! We should do a big family vacation some christmas once our little babies are older. The sand on the beaches looks so nice...I want to go there right now!

Scott and Chelsey said...

You are crazy! So glad Eric saved that kid. Love Ady's braids... I loved the Bahamas! Glad you weren't sick girl!

Partyof9 said...

I hope you don't mind me posting...

I was so excited to hear all about this cruise. We are thinking of doing a Disney Cruise and these pictures and your descriptions really helped. Although, I think I want to try the ship with the waterslide on it. ;)

Your little ones braids made me giggle.

Sorry to hear about your tooth. I always had tooth issues when preggers. It's def a pregger thing. Go figure. lol

J.Frey said...

I have always been hesitant about taking kids on a cruise...but this totally changed my mind. It looks like so much fun! I loved Ady's braids.

And I could NEVER pull out my own tooth. Seriously, that is crazy.

The Petersons said...

How fun! I head the disney cruises are amazing for families. I want to go on one sometime! I can't believe you pulled out your own tooth with a fork and tweezers! Yikes, I'm sorry about the tooth ache though. I can relate to that.

hayleyrowan said...

that looks beautiful, what a fun trip. seems so nice to escape the cold winter!

Callie said...

What a fun trip! I love Ady's braids, if Kenna had hair I'd love to do something like that! Love all the pictures! Way to go Eric on being a hero and Hailey, what the "H" you pulled your tooth out, OUCH!