Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Survival Swimming

Last year when I was a new mom again with a brand new baby Max and a 20 month old Adyson who didnt want to stay home just cuz we had a new baby. I decided to register Ady for a survival swim class for "something to do" it was 4 days a week for a 3 weeks session and I thought "why not?" My friend Camille was having her son Gavin do it and she loved it. So, we decided to give it a try. Well, I did not know how amazing the "KIDS CAN SWIM" survival swim classes really were. So here I am a year later with both my kids currently enrolled for a 2 weeks session. As you can see in the picture above that is Maxwell, my 13 month old floating on his back unassisted, the swim teacher is close behind him (just in case) but he can float on his back all alone, and this picture is only from his 2nd lesson. In Survival Swim their goal is to teach kids to "find the air" if they ever fell into any water or got into too deep of water they could immediately flip to their back to the "finding the air" position and keep themselves afloat until help came. Now, I would NEVER leave my kids alone or unattended around water but this class does equip them with the needed survival skills and well as gives them confidence in the water.



As you can see in the picture Max is learning to flip to his back on his own. And after his 2nd lesson he is already learning that to be a reflex almost when his mouth gets under water. It is incredible. They teach kids as soon as they can crawl these skills. I video taped Max and Ady's first lessons this season and I will post them once I have recorded their last lesson so you can see the amazing results in just a couple of weeks. Really, I cannot say enough about this program. It is more than I could have hoped my kids could learn at such a young age.



Now, you all may be wondering, is it mean? And I think NO WAY! Yes, both of my kids really had a hard time their first lesson, and few other times (Ady last year more than Max) but now both of them smile in the water and are not scared of the lessons any more. They are short 10 minutes a piece private lessons and the teacher is great with them! But, anyway I will get off my survival swim soapbox, but I just wanted to say how proud and amazed I am at how much my kids have learned. Eric too, he was a complete skeptic at first and he cannot believe how well the kids do. He came to their lesson today and could not believe how much Max had learned after just 4 lessons. Ady too, since she had already mastered finding the air last year, she needed only a couple days of brushing up on that skill now they are teaching her how to kick on her back to the side and get out of the pool. She is also jumping off the diving board then going immediately to her back once she comes up to the surface. I really will post the videos on here next week, I think you will all be surprised at how much they can both do. We are!!



16 comments:

Sarah said...

That's funny that you just posted this last night. I saw the exact same thing on the Today Show this morning. I think it's a great idea. You're such a good mommy Hailey

The Culbertson's said...

I wish we could afford something like that, being down here in florida EVERYONE either has a pool or a canal in their back yard. Aspen will probably get some "water comfort" lessons this summer at least!

Callie said...

Happy Mother's Day to you as well! That is so cool! Your kids are going to be awesome swimmers! Max looks so cute just floatin' on his back!

Amber Lynn said...

that is so cool! I saw a video on this once.. specilly with you guys getting a pool.. thats why I have t-man in swim lessons every year cause of my parents pool!

Lisa said...

That is such a good idea. I really think I need to get on that for Scotty! Your kids look like pros!

Lovell Family said...

Hailey...that's awesome. After your testimonial and pictures, I'd be tempted to put my kids in the class if the swim place was just a little bit closer.

Fashion Meets Fitness said...

That is so amazing! I saw something on the news like that and wanted to get Beck's into something like that. I can't believe little Max can do all of that after just 2 lessons! What a little fish :) This will be good for your new pool!!!

The Culbertson's said...

Hailey,
My Husband Brent wants to get in touch with Eric can you send me his email address mine is saraeculbertson@yahoo.com
Thanks!

Lindsey said...

What a great idea. Kids are so amazing. I will DEFINITELY take my kids when I have them. I can't wait to see the videos!

kristin said...

I saw that on the today show... that is so smart!! you never know..

Momma Sue said...

Wow!!! Little fish for grandchildren!
I can't believe how well Max is doing, he's taking after Ady. Can't wait to see them in person!

Brittney said...

Both my kids hate to get their faces wet so swim lesson are kind of a joke. I am ready to do a survival swim lesson!! You ask if 3 is hard?? It is just interesting. Things that were so important like not letting your children climb on counters to get chocolate does not seem so important anymore. It is fun though! I have to say that where your husband grew up does seem fictional. It looks like something out of a movie. Do you think they will mind if we go visit them sometime?!?!?! So Beautiful!!

Jen Bird said...

I keep talking about doing those classes, but just never do it! I can't believe how well they do in the water! Oh, and Ohio looks GoRgEoUs!! I would love to live in a place like that!! I can see why you would go visit a lot!

Lincoln and Alisia said...

That is so neat!

Camille Law said...

We are starting these same kind of swim lessons on Monday! Love it! You are the best mom Hailey! Keep it up girl!

Stephanie said...

Hailey,

We need these lessons! How do I find more information? I'm not finding much on the internet....

Thanks!

Stephanie

stephanie.brubaker@gmail.com